The Plume Moths of Australia (Pterophoroidea) project wiki
This project wiki is to communicate between those interested in the Australian moth species of the superfamily Pterophoroidea and to facilitate the following activities:
- Revision of the Australian checklist for the Pterophoroidea.
- Curation of the Pterophoroidea specimens in the Australian National Insect Collection (ANIC).
- Development of keys and identification aids for Australian Pterophoroidea.
For further information, or to contribute information on Australian Pterophoroidea, please contact Donald Hobern (firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pterophoridae is a distinctive family of small moths found on all continents apart from Antarctica. A comprehensive global catalogue was produced in 2003 and listed 1136 species in the family, along with three species in the closely related Macropiratidae 
. These two families form the Pterophoroidea.
The Checklist of the Lepidoptera of Australia
(1996) recognised one species of Macropiratidae 
and 41 of Pterophoridae 
as occurring in Australia. See the 1996 checklist
for the listing of these species.
This wiki includes the following resources (all under development):
- Bibliography of the Australian Pterophoroidea
- Notes on Australian Pterophoroidea arranged according to the 1996 checklist
- Notes on Australian Pterophoroidea arranged according to a draft revised checklist
- Identification guide for Australian Pterophoroidea
- Glossary of terms
- Pterophoroidea in the Surrounding Region
This site has been made possible through the TRIN project and the significant development efforts of Paul Harvey and Garry Jolley-Rogers.
I am grateful to the following photographers for permission to use their photographs:
- Gielis, C., 2003a, World Catalogue of Insects, Volume 4, Pterophoroidea & Alucitoidea (Lepidoptera) (198 pp., Apollo Books, Stenstrup)
- Schaffer, M., 1996, Macropiratidae, p. 156, in Nielsen, E.S., Edwards, E.D. & Rangsi, T.V. (eds.), Monographs on Australian Lepidoptera, Volume 4, Checklist of the Lepidoptera of Australia (529 pp., CSIRO, Collingwood)
- Schaffer, M. & Nielsen, E.S., 1996, Pterophoridae, pp. 157-158, in Nielsen, E.S., Edwards, E.D. & Rangsi, T.V. (eds.), Monographs on Australian Lepidoptera, Volume 4, Checklist of the Lepidoptera of Australia (529 pp., CSIRO, Collingwood)